I had been a Michigan fan as long as I could remember, but this year would be different - it would be my first in the student section. They were the worst seats I've ever paid for (row 80-something), but I couldn't have been more excited.
Approximate view from my seats.
Game day was brutal - over 90 degrees, humid, and not a cloud in the sky to stop the sun from beating down on all of us. It was a 3:30 game so it had plenty of time to warm up. I don't remember much about the first few hours of the day (I didn't drink at the time so, no, it wasn't from pregaming). I got to the stadium ridiculously early - even most of the blue hairs weren't there yet. I didn't want to miss anything. Eventually the rest of my group, mostly friends from high school, showed up.
As the stadium filled up with people, anticipation built. Kick off came and went, and the game flew by. I could only tell how much time had passed by how much the shadow of the press box crept into the southern part of the student section and onto the field. And how much of a nasty, odd shaped sunburn it gave me.
The game was a battle, as expected. I don't remember many details, but one player sticks out clear as day. Phil Brabbs. Our kicker.
He was awful. Short field goal - miss. Long field goal - miss. Extra point - sure let's miss that too. I'm not sure he made more than 2 kicks that game.
Late in the fourth quarter I think we squandered enough chances to have the game put away. We were driving toward the north end zone, losing the game and losing time. Our drive stalled at the 27 yard line with a handful of seconds left and here came the guy we had no faith in. Yet he trotted onto the field like he never missed a kick in his life.
I wish I could say I was optimistic he could nail the game winner. But it was 44 yards. And up to that point it looked like he was kicking with a peg leg. I think God received an influx of prayers from Stadium and Main during those few minutes in the early evening.
The snap was clean and Brabbs trotted up to the ball and drilled it. It had enough leg for sure. It made it over the offensive line. I had no clue what happened next. My seats were practically on the goal line and it was tough to tell if it went through or not. Then came the roar. It started from everyone in the endzones and sides where they could see the uprights, and finally made its way up to the freshmen in our nosebleed seats.
It's good. Winner. Game over.
Pandemonium ensued. I think I nearly tumbled down the bleachers during the celebration process, but eventually found my way back to my friends. My unbelievably sunburned right side of my body that later succumbed to peeling was pain-free and well worth the experience. Brabbs put his worst career performance behind him to nail the game winner against a top 10 opponent to kick off the season.
I've seen a lot of incredible Michigan games since then with much more at stake, but that will always be one of my fondest memories as a student at Michigan. That's one hell of a way to get introduced to the student section.
It's tough to know whether that was simply a miracle or whether Brabbs truly had more fight in him than any of us realized.
That moment that burned the name Phil Brabbs into my memory forever may be the only reason I'm aware of what he's dealing with now - a hurdle that's going to require that same combination of strong will and miracle that guided that ball through the uprights.
In 2008, Brabbs was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma - a very difficult to treat blood cancer in the bone marrow. I believe the disease mainly targets older people, but Brabbs had only just turned 28 the day before he was diagnosed. I remember former Red Wing Darren McCarty's dad battling the same disease in the '90s, and learning that very few are able to beat this specific type of cancer.
But since the '90s have come stem cell treatments and significant advancements in cancer therapy. And Brabbs has taken full advantage, undergoing multiple (including one one week ago) stem cell treatments. He's still battling and now has over 5,000 facebook fans to support him and his cause.
If that game back in 2002, Michigan football as a whole, or simply belief in a true fighter motivate you, I'd encourage you to follow CancerKicker.org on facebook. When he or his wife update his progress, you'll actually get some real-life inspiration and positivity on that news feed of yours to break up the meaningless updates and superficial complaining from the dozens of people you've friended only because you met them once crossing the street.
His family and friends have also printed up a shirt with his slogan, "Dominate," with proceeds benefiting cancer research. We'll have to forgive the color choice, as apparently red and gray are the official colors of Multiple Myeloma. (Proof that OSU = always bad?)
In 2002, Brabbs showed me and 110,000 others in that stadium what mental toughness really was. I look forward to the day that facebook update pops up to let us know he's cancer-free. I think he's got one more 44-yarder in him.



No comments:
Post a Comment